The Cost of a Blessing

Raul and Marta have been
missionaries since Frank & Genie,
founders of FMC, came to Mexico 
Raul and his beautiful wife Marta are a staple at the mission house in General Cepeda. Nobody has come on a mission trip down here and missed their tireless efforts and hard work, not to mention physical sacrifices, to serve, feed, and help out every missionary on the trip. Besides their work during mission trips, Raul is a full time missionary and leads one of the largest and most faithful prayer meetings in town. 

Raul came by the house one day. My husband, Ben, and him were talking for a while before Ben noticed that Raul's shoes, the ones he wears every day for all occasions, were falling apart and had a gaping hole where the shoe meets the sole, not to mention the paint splotches that made the black shoes look white. 
My husband mentioned that maybe he needed some new shoes and asked what size he was. 

My in-laws were coming down for a visit and my mom was sending a few things down for my daughter's 3rd birthday, so with one quick phone call I asked her if she wouldn't mind picking up a pair of shoes at target, which would first of all be new for him and second of all be better quality than most of what I could get here in Mexico. Most of what we are able to give away is used, many of the street vendors sell used clothes from the states, so a brand new, tags still on, never been worn or used by another is rare. Ben and I thought brand new would be a great way to honor his worth as a fellow missionary. 

Raul and Marta and 3 of their 5 children:
Luz (L), Estrella (holding Lluvia) and Chelly (sitting)
Now I have to brag on my mom here. The request was rather simple: black men's shoes that are versatile, could be for work or church. My mom, being the beautiful person she is went above and beyond... She not only went to Target, after seeing they had nothing of great quality, she went to another store and conversed with my dad to find the best shoes, a sharp pair of dockers, real leather, and, in the words of my mother, "I bought some socks too because you can't have new shoes without new socks." What a missionary! 

When the shoes came down with my in-laws we told Raul and Marta the story of my mom going to multiple stores, deciding between several pairs of shoes (and returning to the store because my dad thought he needed the next size up, even though dad has never met Raul... must have been a holy spirit inspiration, because they fit him perfectly!).  And we shared my favorite part, the part about the new socks! They laughed because Raul jokes about wearing his socks until the foot part tears away from the ankle part, so now he doesn't have socks, he has arm bands! 


We took a photo of Raul, proud in his new shoes holding his socks. You can see his old shoes on either side. The picture doesn't do the chasm in the sides of his shoes justice.


Days later, after seeing Raul around town without his new shoes, I asked Marta if he liked them. She said he's like a happy little boy with his socks and shoes!! Ha-ha, today he worn them to the house and made me look at them as he walked inside. I stood at the end of the entry way as he strode in with his new shoes.  To think, he's so happy with one pair of shoes.

One of Marta's greatest joys is
her grandchildren.  Here she is with
two of them: Lluvia (sitting) & Anika (standing)
I know the shoes were not cheap, but I know they were a small price to pay to bring this hard working missionary so much joy, more importantly to bless him because our God is a God of blessings. Money comes and goes, but those small acts of blessing reign in heaven for all eternity!! What price will you pay to bless someone else?

Jesus help us to find the joy in giving for you have given us all our riches so we could pass them along to bless others.  Thank you Jesus for choosing me to be the bearer of your good to give to others.

#latepost  (This was written in October 2015, but just recently posted in May 2016)

Comments

Popular Posts